new yeah: sociability is hard enough for me

it's maybe my mid-20s sensibilities hitting me, but i've decided to quit those which don't necessarily add a whole deal of value to my life.

i'm starting with instagram. yes, it's pretty huge deal for me using it both as a means of expression and a political tool. but seeing as all i'm using it for is to maintain a brand - which isn't at all profitable - to people who are barely my friends, or to whom i barely care about, then there isn't really any purpose for opening the app. almost a week withdrawn from seeing a single instagram story or post, i must admit the struggle of kicking a habit. the only thing preventing me from deleting the app is that my girlfriend uses it to send me pictures of cute dogs or cute little girls.

going down the totem pole, i'm reducing my facebook use. to be fair, through the years, i've gradually reduced my facebook dependency. i've done my cleansing of friends, tagged posts, and account functionality. but for the past year, i've still managed to use it cry for calls of help by quoting song lyrics with spotify songs or virtue signalling with articles. my facebook account used to be for connecting with family or getting laughs from friends, but i could also do it without the internet.

i guess what i'm just trying to accomplish is having more actual human connections. admittedly, i'm one of the most secluded individuals in my loosely defined social circle, and social media will definitely help me reach out to people whom i'd be too lazy to go out of my way to get off my couch to actually meet them in person. but i legitimately feel online connections feel diluted and shallow. i've always been a stickler for making deliberately crafted outputs and avoiding formulaic efforts, and to have an instagram story or facebook post for everyone's consumption goes well against that.

but what about this blog? isn't this a form of social media?

for something to be social, it has to involve human beings. seeing as there's nobody reading this, this is hardly "social"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

an ode to rubenesque figures

dark side of the gym

time space continuum