and that's how our love died

she has always been right. and it took me only now to see it.

my relationship with her was built on a desire to fix her. this meant i was coming from a place where i didn't view her as an equal, but more like someone beneath me whom i had i wanted to pull from the mess that she's in. as a result, my respect for her was handicapped.

and when she had told me "there are more important things to love than loyalty - such as respect", i should've seen it as a wake up call.

every single time she broke up with me, i always chased after her - with the sole purpose of staying true to my promises and fulfilling our unfinished business. i never got her to a white sand beach, i never got her a corgi, i never got her a middle initial. the relationship i was fighting for essentially became a to-do list, rather than an actual relationship between two people with a shared love for each other.

i overdid love as a verb, and perhaps in the process, obfuscated its meaning. and if a relationship is built upon what you bring to the table, then i could easily be replaced by someone who could outdo me.

unfortunately, there are more important things to love than loyalty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

an ode to rubenesque figures

dark side of the gym

time space continuum